Clear Creek Wildlife Refuge and Garden County Game Refuge
Wild and Pristine Refuge
Garden County Wildlife Refuge, located in a 110 yard strip on either side of the North Platte River, and Clear Creek Refuge and Wildlife Management Area, southeast of Lewellen, are open to seasonal and specialty hunting and fishing, and provide a way to see the heart of our “wild and pristine” landscape. The sites are “also popular with hikers, mushroom hunters, and bird watchers.
Birders enjoy some excellent viewing opportunities during both spring and fall migrations. They can spot most species of waterfowl and shore birds found in the Central Flyway as well as many grassland species. From mid-February to mid-April many Sandhill Cranes stage along the North Platte River and wet meadows on the area. Many folks have seen some of the numerous river otter that call the area home as well.”
- View Garden County Refuge Index Sheet
- Garden County Refuge is closed to all hunting except archery deer hunting, allowed from Sept. 15th through Oct. 31st.
- Visit the Clear Creek Retreat website for hunting, fishing, boating, camping and more.
- View a Clear Creek Seasonal Refuge Map
- Clear Creek Seasonal Refuge Web Site is closed to Waterfowl Hunting at all times except for the east boundary where Waterfowl Hunting may be allowed through signage. Open to hunting, fishing, trapping and all access prior to the Monday before Thanksgiving and after Feb. 15th…or as authorized.